Monday, August 15, 2011

The Case for Compromise

There's a common thread among voters, it seems, and that is that they want a candidate/President that compromises less, or doesn't compromise at all. "Less compromise, less compromise!" "Stick to your guns!"

My question is, why the heck do people dislike compromise?

I'm going to use the debt ceiling situation for my example. We essentially had two sides completely unwilling to compromise. One side wanted to essentially tax everything, but no real spending cuts and the other wanted to cut spending, but no taxation. Yes, in the end, they got a deal done. But it should not have been so hard, or the ridiculous charades by both sides going on so long. If both sides had compromised, we could have had SOME taxes, and SOME spending cuts. It's really not that hard. However, you get people thinking more about what they want to do for their political career, and not for the best interests of the country.

When it comes down to it the best option for the country is not always the most popular. You can't build a nation when you are too busy arguing among each other. Compromise is a GOOD thing!

2 comments:

  1. It is appropriate time to make a few plans for the future and it
    is time to be happy. I've read this publish and if I may just I desire to recommend you some attention-grabbing things or suggestions. Maybe you can write next articles relating to this article. I wish to learn even more things approximately it!

    my site :: 1984 mazda rx7

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever considered about adding a little bit more than just your articles?

    I mean, what you say is valuable and all. But just imagine if
    you added some great images or video clips to give your posts more, "pop"!
    Your content is excellent but with pics and videos, this blog could certainly be one of the very best in
    its field. Terrific blog!

    Feel free to visit my site :: acoustic guitar chord

    ReplyDelete